Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It's April!

Can you believe it? Its already April. April means running outside, probably the entire month! Since I have never been a serious runner at this point in April, (I probably started my memorial day 1/2 marathon training last year 6 weeks out, around the 15th) I am going through a few things that are new to me, just like I did with winter running.
Specifically, rain. And, actually, here in Massachusetts, the snow. Yeah it snowed 5 inches between Thursday, March 31 and Friday, April 1. But by now I'm used to snow. Snow usually has an easy solution- get your ass to the gym and try not to go insane on the treadmill.
Rain, though, makes for a more difficult decision. If its a light rain, its no problem. If its completely pouring, probably not. If its in between, wing it and hope you don't get too wet? I guess?
Thats what I've been doing. Last week I ran inside when I could've run outside because it looked like it was about to come down hard. Today the rain stopped a few hours before my lunch break, and it seemed like it might hold off at least an hour so I went for it, and came back drenched. I was unprepared too- I wore my white basketball pants which could win me some wet t contests. And I wore my running shoes to work, so I had to slosh around in wet shoes for the rest of the day.
Another problem I've had to deal with is dressing appropriately for the temperature. I am starting to hone in on the right combinations of layers, etc, but it is truly an art. I'm good below 35 and above 55 but its all the stuff in between I'm not sure of. And it seems like I'm both too hot and too cold when it is around 45.
These are some of the things you learn by doing. Now I know why runners buy running pants. Recently I learned why runners ease into a new routine, even if it seems pretty harmless to run a few more miles. I know why runners are so fussy about their shoes, and why, unlike body builders, they're not scared of carbs.
Early spring running is what seems to separate the men from the boys. Not as extreme as winter running but I have to say that anyone who starts a training program right now (not just running when its nice out) is probably for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment