Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

VICTORY!

26.2- Conquered! Here are my thoughts:
#1- Miles 20-26 were not that much different than 18-20. It just lasted longer. I am certain that this is because I did everything mostly right, specifically during the race. I took it nice and slow, like I did during my training, ate constantly after mile 9, took ibuprofen, and stopped at every water stop after mile 6. This race was not, "hilly" it was "mountainy," so I eventually started walking every hill, even though I never did so during my training. I never ran hills that steep though, either.
#2- I can do that again. At times during my training, I thought this might be my last. I had the same conversations with myself when first training for the 1/2, and felt the same way after completing my first one. I should have known myself better.
#3- I'll probably never run a race that difficult again. Not because I don't want to, which I don't, but more because even the "50 state club" runners all around me were in awe at the difficulty of the course.
#4- I can improve a lot. Next time I train, I can set a goal for a P.R. and likely beat it. If you're a runner, you know that this is half the fun.
#5- I already have a goal! Boston 2013. The saga continues.
In the meantime, I'll keep this active. Right now, I'm resting for the rest of the month to give my body a chance to heal. Then I'll switch gears to my remaining two goals for the year:
sub-50 minute 10k
sub 1:50 1/2
To accomplish these goals in the condition I'm in and for my own sanity, I'm giving myself a pretty lax training plan. Since I know I will be fine with the distances, training is all about speed. I've never done much speedwork, so I'm sure even just a little will get me the 3 minutes I need in the 10k and 4 in the 1/2. When it gets closer, I'll update my current training plan to reflect changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment