Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

52:49

What a race! That was without a doubt the most fun race I have been a part of. Oh, I have some complaints. But you can't beat a run where you have people cheering you on the entire race. There were kids handing out gatorade and water literally everywhere and people encouraging you constantly. Plus the block party at the end far surpassed anything I've ever seen at a run. Beer and food, bands, people all ready to have a great time. This is the type of race to invite your friends and family to watch since you know they'll have a great time too.
My ankle preparations worked beautifully- not a problem at all there. I felt great throughout physically.
My complaints are really more about my ignorance going in rather than about the race itself. I wanted to make this the race I'd get my PR under 50. However, the first four miles were consistently uphill. Not opressive, and I trained for hills, but by mile 3, I just had to slow down. The last 2 miles were sharp downhill which was awesome, but I wasn't able to cut my pace down enough to hit my goal.
Another challenge related to my goal was the number of people. The helicopter (yes, helicopter) that was giving us directions at the beginning of the race was saying to line up by pace, but on the ground it was way past the point where that was possible. The line was literally a mile long. According to the results, the difference between the gun and my start time was about 5 minutes, but I am pretty sure it was even more than that. It felt like 20. Either way, I started with so many people that there was just no way to get to and stay at my pace. Instead, I was playing the sprint and pace game for the first 4 miles. That took a lot out of me both physically and mentally.
Next year, I'll do this one as a fun, get back into shape for spring run. Even if its just an excuse to join the party afterwards.




No comments:

Post a Comment