Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Injury 4 days before 10k

Of course it happens like this. I was just over a mile into my 8 mile tempo run, just started picking it up on this 1000 foot incline. I felt alright but not as awesome as I did with my tempo run last week. Anyway I felt fine enough, when all of a sudden I just felt this sharp pain in my ankle every time my left foot struck the ground.
There was no snap or tear or roll or anything like that. It just came. This has happened to me before about a half a dozen to a dozen times. Just never this close to a race and never this bad.
I have no idea what it is and have never asked anyone about it, because generally I just run it off and be a man and stuff. In fact, I tried to do that a few times today and the pain persisted for awhile. My old high school track happened to be nearby so I was able to just get myself up the hill and to the track where I could run until I couldn't handle it anymore.
I went easy and it slowly started to go away. By the end, I was running at near pace for short spurts, maybe 200 to 400 meters at a time.
After thinking it over, I decided to cut my run short. I could use the rest anyway after the condensed week I had last week.
I am not running tomorrow and I'll see how I feel on Thursday, but I certainly won't be pushing it at all. I think that formula adds up to doing everything right to have a great race on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment